What does a Book Manager do? Like many other products today, books are more often being marketed online. Even more than many businesses, bookselling has moved out of bookstore and onto the internet. So in order for books to reach readers and generate revenue, you have to do much more than get them into bookstores: you have to promote and market the book. Doing this depends on publicizing and marketing the book and very much on working with Authors. Authors also play a key role in promotions. We have developed a (somewhat) standard methodology, to help Authors get the word out about their books. You will manage that process. In some ways, you will manage the Author.
So why would you want this job? You love online marketing. You love books. You want to be directly compensated for your impact to the bottom line.
Book Managers are part of the creative team. While they may occasionally take over after the book has been launched, we encourage teams to include a Book Manager as early as possible, to focus on the book’s audience and the practicalities of how we will reach out to them. Book Managers in our model have a very special relationship to Authors– it’s not just “the marketing department” but an individualized, close collaboration.
If you haven’t already, check out the Team Publishing section for an outline on how this works.
Here’s who we are looking for:
- Someone who has the ability to think about the overall strategy of marketing a book, but is not afraid of the actual tactical side either (we don’t have “people” for that, just you).
- An individual who understands all the basic online and social networking tools (even if you currently use them more for personal entertainment than professionally).
- You must love books (at least in some capacity). A big part of this job is being in the book community online, it is going to be a very tedious road if you are not enjoying it!
- You must be well organized.
- It is fine if you have never marketed books.
If you think you might have what it takes, or just want to learn more, please apply here.